31 March 2012

Burn notice

As some of you are aware Thursday afternoon at my day job I injured myself. It was a 190 degree burn to palm side of my right hand. It only lasted a few seconds. I think I spent more time swearing. Immediately I put it under cold water several times and when I got home it went straight into a bowl of ice. Unfortunately this was my writing hand.
Now two days later after doing a simple pin test it seems the three fingers I burnt are only burnt by a layer or two however my thumb is a little worse off, I still cannot quite bend it and certainly cannot use it for opening bottles or using a pen, even pressing a button on the tv remote hurts. The thumb still throbs and will take time to heal properly. I'll probably end up with a scar by its just another one to add to the list I guess.

All this makes one thankful for computers. If I could have chosen I would have wished it had been my left hand because I can type one handed with only my right hand if need be.

My point today is this, if you cook something don't expect people to know it or the tray it was cooked in/on is hot especially if you arent supposed to be cooking. Leave a sign of some kind, for me at work its putting the gloves on top of the trolley that the hot trays are racked up on; at home I tell people. It doesn't take two seconds to think of safety and it doesn't take two seconds to get burnt. Think first! Think safe!

No comments:

Post a Comment