10 May 2012

The Closest Chicago deep dish this side of the Atlantic

Its true!
I had a wonderful idea, followed the yellow brick road and walla, the memories came flooding back.
For those of you who dont know, I live in England and visit the States once a year, and at least once during my time we order a Chicago deep dish pizza. yum. From my own experience we have nothing nowhere near it WHAT-SO-EVER here in the UK, which is a shame I really feel we're missing out on a yummalicious experience (yes i created a new word) Anywho after this little combo all my memories came flooding back and of the things I miss in the ol' US of A.
So here behold my recipe.

Shortcrust pastry block (I used ready made, its quicker)
Chicken (yep I cheated again and used ready cooked, cut and frozen)
Red Pesto approx half a small jar
Grated Mature Cheddar
Half beef tomato sliced
Half mozzarella sliced (I used light as never had it before)
Red / yellow pepper if wanted

Roll out your pastry and line your tin/silicon quiche pan.
If you have baking beans, line the pastry in the pan with baking paper and fill with beans then bake for about 10 minutes. Be careful the pastry will shrink back from where you made your cuts!
Remove from oven. Remove beans and baking paper.
*
Spread half the total amount of pesto over the pastry.
Add the sliced beef tomato.
Add some sliced  mozzarella.
Add some pepper if you wanted them.
Sprinkle on some chicken.
Add the other half the pesto over as much as possible.
Then sprinkle on grated cheddar.
Cook until pastry is golden and cheese melted.

Serve with side salad and enjoy!

*Be aware pastry may need longer to cook underneath, probably best to add an extra 5-10 minutes in oven after removing beans but before adding ingredients just to make sure.

Although mine didnt come out deepdish the pizza itself was deep in fillings, it was yummy and gave a similar taste to the Chicago Deepdish

No comments:

Post a Comment