21 February 2012

The Pancake Day Massacre

Oh joyous, its my fave time of year again, Pancake Day.
I love pancakes, well scotch pancakes and american pancakes though I'm sure their nationality doesn't actually come into it, they're pancakes. The ones I love are spongy, I hate those crepe ones that are slimey looking things and I certainly don't buy mine ready made. I use a recipe.
Last weekends magazine in the paper had a recipe for pancakes which I thought I would follow. What a mistake! The mixture came out very liquidy that the flour and everything settled in the bottom of the jug and the first one I made came out all thin and crepe like. This batch went in the bin and the mixture poured away.
Batch 2 came out slightly similar and went out the same way too.
Batch 3, success, wonderful yummy pancakes with a good mixture and thickness that made them spongy.
Let me state I had to go dig out a recipe book for batch 3 which had a recipe for american pancakes, I did alter slightly by downing the salt as it seemed high and served with maple syrup and fresh strawberries.
They were YUM but only after the massacre that was the first two batches. Also I religously always throw out the first pancake because it always soaks up all the butter used in the pan and tastes horrid.
Last year I missed out on pancake day completely and I was disappointed on my visit to the States when I learned my pancakes I had the year before at Bob Evans were removed from the menu. I hope that later this year this is not the case but for now I am happy enough with my own pancakes.
Happy Pancake Day everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment