14 February 2012

Valentines

Its that time of year again, you know the one where cheap tat is sold in shops (just like the one I work in) and people are expected to go buy it for their loved ones. Let me also state that it is also the time of year to have our wallets ransacked, seriously the price of this tat is unbelieveable I could find something so much better for the same money if not cheaper; it is also the time for those without a partner to go seeking the ice cream tub for comfort. Yes its valentines day! A day dedicated to celebrate being together er hold on isnt that what anniversaries are for? and shouldn't couples be celebrating being together every day?
All valentines day has ever done is make people miserable and spend their money.
A recent survey I took showed results that out of 8,000 people at least a third would celebrate the day while almost two thirds would not celebrate at all.
I am all up for recieveing gifts but then who wouldnt be?...and quite frankly why does it have to be a specific day, you shouldnt have to hold off, everyday is special while you're together and you shouldnt let something like the card companies tell you to.
For those like me who live thosands of miles from the one they love valentines is not an easy holiday, sure things like skype help but its not the same and for those who've lost those they love it is even harder to watch everyone else celebrating.
Perhaps it is time a vote was taken whether to keep or be rid of this hallmark holiday... what would you vote for?

Another holiday I could do without is Easter, I mean come on I work in a shop there is temptation enough without bringing out the chocolate eggs!

No comments:

Post a Comment