25 February 2012

To Doggy Bag or Not to Doggy Bag ???

This year will be my forth trip to the United States to see my guy and as per usual many meals will be taken in restaurants. Though I was amazed at some of the sizes of the meals presented before me I was relieved and quite happy as well as shocked that practically ALL restaurants offered a take home service. It appears quite normal for waiters and waitresses to offer you a box for your leftovers no matter how much or how little.
Since we 'the eater' have purchased the food it only seems right that whatever is left is yours to take home. However here in the United Kingdom we do not have such a service, in fact it appears more so that restaurants in an aid to reduce wastage simply offer a nationwide standard size plate. Surely if this service were available more customers would be likely to attend said restaurants and therefore increase their sales enabling them to increase plate sizes and in turn do good for the suppliers of their fresh and frozen goods by creating more business for them.
I've said this ever since my first visit to the USA almost 4 years ago and finally today on BBC Breakfast a morning show on BBC 1 here in the UK the question has finally been brought up and gladly many people see as I do that this would be good all round.
So to doggy bag or not to doggy bag or rather box like our American friends. Let us in the UK hope this idea catches on and very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment